Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Missal Stand

In my post just prior to this, I lamented the traditional community's overall lack of worthy lecterns and pulpits. There is one sort of lectern that's still ubiquitous among trad communities: the Missal stand. I just wanted to share a couple of amazing Missal stands I saw on the Met's website, but I felt they would just bloat the previous, already bloated article.

The first is a silver creation of the Gothic revival from late 19th-century France. It was made by Louis Marcy, who apparently made a living off of making medievalesque items and actually selling them as "antiquities".



This one is made of iron in the shape of a fortress, probably from Spain as it bears the arms of Castile and Leon. On the bookrest, it read In principio erat verbum ("In the beginning there was the Word") and along the base, et verbum caro factus est ("and the Word was made flesh").


That one is probably the most awesome Missal stand I've ever seen.

4 comments:

  1. HK, the missal stands for the altar I am assuming, not for personal use at home. Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I would definitely assume this to be the case, though there is, in theory, nothing wrong with owning one for your personal chapel. I just feel that if I had one as nice as these, I'd be obliged to donate them to a church to be used liturgically.... provided they would appreciate and use it, and it's not an act of throwing pearls before swine, of course.

      Delete
  2. Can you make out what the words say on the first missal stand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like they were built to last. As an aside, has anyone else had the experience of having to transfer the missal on a stand whose underside is on the sharp side, and is heavy, causing a little bit of pain and leaving an impression for a bit after? I only had to serve at the place a few times. I suppose it was a good act of penance.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete